eTutoring is an online option available to all students; it works best for students who are unable to meet during our normal business hours. Keep in mind that you may not receive your link to our recorded feedback until two hours after your appointment was scheduled to begin, so please plan accordingly. This means that if your appointment begins at 6:00 pm or later, you may not receive the link to the video until the following morning. When many videos are processing at the same time, it may take longer than two hours for you to receive the recorded feedback link, but we will get it to you as soon as possible. You will be able to view our comments on your paper about an hour after your appointment is scheduled to begin by logging back into your appointment and downloading the new attachment. You may also find a link to your recorded feedback under “consultant notes” in the appointment form as well.
What YOU Do
- Make an appointment indicating you want an online eTutoring appointment
- Attach your draft and the directions to the assignment/project
- You will be notified twice when your feedback is available–once for our written feedback and comments, and once for the link to the video we recorded for you to talk about those comments
- Watch the feedback on your own and decide your next steps as a writer
What WE Do
- Look at your draft and the directions for it, and make comments on it via an audio & screen recording that we upload using an unlisted YouTube profile
- Our comments will include a few higher order concerns and a few lower order concerns if there is time
- Consultants will provide feedback on the draft’s organization, clarity, thesis, and structure before commenting on punctuation, word choice, or grammar
- We upload it and send you the link
For eTutoring appointments, you will receive a screen recording sent to you through a YouTube link. To do this option, you will need to schedule an appointment with a consultant on the Writing Center website (green button) and be sure to choose “eTutoring” from the drop down menu at the top. In addition, you will need to attach a copy of your draft/ assignment before your appointment is scheduled to begin so the consultant can have time to review it and send you the feedback. When you have successfully scheduled yourself this kind of appointment, it will appear orange. You will receive the link to your recorded feedback about two hours after your appointment was scheduled to begin. You will be able to view your paper with our comments on it about an hour after your appointment is scheduled to begin.
Scheduling an eTutoring Appointment
- Choose “Schedule eTutoring appointment” from the “Meet Online?” drop-down menu when you make your appointment in our online scheduler. When you have successfully scheduled this type of appointment, it will appear in orange on the calendar. (A face-to-face appointment appears in bright gold, and an online video chat appointment appears in red.)
- Attach a copy of your draft and assignment instructions before your appointment is scheduled to begin so the consultant has time to review it and send your feedback.
- When you have successfully scheduled yourself this kind of appointment, it will appear in yellow on the schedule.
- Please keep in mind that consultants only have about 45 minutes to review your paper. This means we can only get through about 6-9 pages at a time. So, for longer papers, it may take more than one session for us to provide feedback on your whole paper.
- The comments on your paper are really meant to use as a reference. Please be sure to also watch the recorded video for a more in-depth explanation of our feedback.
- We can normally send you the video link within an hour of your appointment. Sometimes, the server is slow, so it may take two hours (or longer) for you to receive the video link (written comments will always be available by the end of your scheduled appointment).