Online Video Chat
Online Video Chat sessions are best for writers who want the same thorough feedback that meeting face-to-face in real time affords. It’s a great option for brainstorming or understanding an assignment, as well as for getting feedback on a draft. Click here to learn more about how online video chat sessions work.
What YOU Do
- Make an appointment indicating you want an online video chat session
- Attach your draft and assignment if you have them
- At the time when you scheduled your appointment, log back on to the Writing Center website and click on your appointment (red box)
- When you click it, a new window will open. Click the red link that says “Start or Join Online Consultation” and another window will appear with your chat and video chat in it (as well as some directions for how to use it).
- In the upper right hand corner, there will be a person with a number next to it. When it says two, both you and the consultant are viewing the video chat.
Trouble getting it to work?
- Be sure to click “allow” when a pop up window asks you for access to your microphone and webcam. Your popup blocker may have blocked this window from coming up the first time, so try joining the session a second time.
- To do an online video chat session, you need to use a desktop or laptop computer–not a cell phone or tablet. WCONLINE is still working on compatibility for those.
- The online video chat does not always work well when Internet Explorer is used. Try using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome instead.
- Click here to learn more about the different features available in the whiteboard area.
What WE Do
- Add your draft to the chat/ video chat screen
- When we see you are viewing the session, we will start the audio/ video chat.
- From here, the sessions operate in a similar way as the Face-to-Face sessions.
For Online Video Chat appointments, you will actually get to talk with the consultant about your draft online. To do this option, you will also need to schedule an appointment with a consultant on the Writing Center website and be sure to choose “meet online” from the drop-down menu. When you have successfully scheduled yourself this kind of appointment, the box will appear red. In addition, you should attach a copy of your draft and/or assignment as well so the consultant can add it to your chat (so both of you can see and comment on it). Be sure to select an appointment slot that works well for you, as with this option, you are expected to be ready to begin at that time.
Scheduling an Online Video Chat Session
- Choose “Yes – Meet Online?” from drop-down menu when you make your appointment in our online scheduler. When you have successfully scheduled yourself for this kind of appointment, the appointment will appear in red on the calendar. (A face-to-face appointment appears in bright gold, and an eTutoring YouTube recording appointment appears in orange.)
- Please attach a copy of your draft and assignment to the appointment so the consultant can paste it to the whiteboard and your changes are more easily seen in a different color on the screen.